Thursday 26 June 2008

Okay-no more pity party

I am so grateful for the kind words from Karen, Kit and Philip after my last post. I was feeling quite worn out and just a little self pitying at the time. In a really odd coincidence on the same day I made that post I discovered a book that has helped me a great deal.



PRAYING FOR HEALING by Dom Benedict Heron OSB

Meanwhile as my last hosptial appoitment was so bad I nearly left the room in tears I have decided to be pro-active. This is the internet world and patients have access to all sorts of information that we didn't have before. Instead of trying to avoid information in case Iupset my already rude and incaltricent doctors I have decided to get myself fully informed and even look for answers elsewhere.

So today I had my first visit to a Chiropractor.

First visit was free. The Chiropractor took my history and the first thing I noticed was he LISTENED to what I said! He asked questions and listened to the answers. If I asked questions he answered them clearly and did not once try to dodge the question.

He poked and prodded me much the same as the neuros do but with a few extra things I've never had done before. Then hewas a bit bemused.

You see it seems that it could all be .... a trapped nerve!!!!

Now then; I have been in pain DAILY for over five years. I have been using crutches and a $*&$"* wheelchair because I can't walk properly or far. If it turns out this is all due to a trapped nerve that should have been straightforward to diagnose I'll...I don't know.

Even though I would be really, really angry I would also be exstatically pleased because the chiropractor can sort it out. If it IS a trapped nerve I am looking at being able to walk again and be pain free!

PRAY people PLEASE.

He wants to see the MRI done in 2003 so I have phoned my GP and asked for it. I'll let you know how that goes.

One of the things that has struck me is the attitude of the staff at the Chiropractor clinic. The receptionist was kind and polite. The chiropractor himself was polite and greeted me with a handshake. He did not once treat me like an idiot.

What has happened to the culture within the NHS, that patients are treated so rudely; discarded; ignored and generally seen as gettin in the way? And how many die or are killed because treatment is too much like hard work?

I saw it back when I was a nurse and I thought it was awful then, but now it is all over the place. My friend has cancer. Her treatment has been nick named the "Economy Package" because of how she is being treated.

All I can say to anyone going through something like this-try and find the energy to fight back.


5 comments:

PJA said...

That was an inspirational post. Don't, for one minute, feel bad about what you call "self pity"!

Of course, prayers come as standard and especially for everyone involved in the NHS. It's called the "National Health Service", and yet it spends a great deal on creating designer babies with one hand and aborting them with the other and somewhere in the middle, many of the sick go unnoticed. It's sad and typical of our world at the moment.

I came across Fr Corapi's take on our world this morning:

"I have been celebrating Mass at a local parish while the pastor is away the past few weeks. Many of the readings during that time concerned the prophets and their message and trials. I was moved to reflect once again on the prophetic dimension of our Baptism in Christ-Priest, Prophet and King. Several decades ago, the great Archbishop Fulton Sheen said, “The prophetic voice of Christ has all but been stilled in the Church today.” To the degree we fail in this prophetic mission, the world will sink into oblivion under the increasing weight of its sins.

"In my lifetime, the United States has gone from quite a wholesome, rational, and moral country, to one that is largely decadent, irrational, and immoral. Most people seem to be hardened to it, unconcerned that we have a death wish in process.

"First it was artificial contraception, then abortion, then partial-birth abortion, then infanticide (all of which have been supported by many liberal politicians at one time or another, even some running for president) not to mention euthanasia, and outright killing of the disabled and sick. Actually, it’s even worse. Terri Schiavo wasn’t sick. She didn’t die from an illness. They killed her by starvation, a very cruel way to die.

"Now it’s same sex marriage (no transmission of life, no fruit of natural love) and we call it inclusive and just. It is yet another nail in the coffin of a society that is clearly dying. Every stage of life is under assault by the forces of death. From prevention of life through artificial contraception, to abortion-which is homicide by definition in each case (the taking of the life of an innocent human being), and genocide taken as a whole. Preventing life, ending life from the youngest to the oldest. We call it progress. It is a death wish, and we had better watch what we wish for.

"All that evil requires to prosper is that good men remain silent.” The hour is late. We have had years to change course. Instead, we have obstinately refused and gone from bad to worse. May God have mercy on us, and grant us the courage and strength to act in accordance with that truth."

God bless

LizzieD said...

Praying for you.
God Bless.

Kit said...

Prayers and all good things to come your way! Think on all you've endured these past 5 years and let it power you forward to recovery. You can do anything!

Kit said...

P.S. Do whatever it takes to get a new MRI or CT scan. My years of dealing with US Navy medical treatment taught me to annoy until you get your way.

They likely cost me 7 years of fertility, and 5 little angels...all it took this time, with a private insurance co. and a doc of my choice, was a a few blood tests at week 5 and a hormone supplement at weeks 6-10 to keep my little boy VITAL. Arrrrggghhhh.

gemoftheocean said...

Hang in there. You wouldn't be normal if you didn't get sick of suffering. The best saints had the same, St. Therese of the Little Flower, and we also find that Mother Teresa also went through dark nights of the soul. Can we expect to sail through? I guess the best you can do is offer it up and unite your sufferings with those on the Cross, it's the only way to get any relief out of it. In the mean time we'll just pray it is a trapped nerve and it's something that can be corrected. God bless you and may you be healed.