Saturday 23 February 2008

Adoration-just for a few minutes.



My parish priest is, according to my dh "refreshingly uncharismatic". He seems to struggle at times with his role and certainly with the pastoral side of things; but quietly he is doing great things in our parish. For Lent we have the usual extras of Stations of the Cross, but yesterday there was a day of Exposition to pray for vocations. Apparently Father had a bit of a battle to get people to sign up for it, but he must have achieved the full sheet because it went ahead.
My friend (I have mentioned her before, the single mum) came over and asked if I would like to go. I was able to leave the little ones with dh and we drove to church.
The church was quiet. One lady knelt in a pew, praying and watching. In the darkness of the cool building there was a place ablaze with candle flame. The monstrance and Our Lord stood in the centre of the altar surrounded by candles.
It's a long time since I had the opportunity to adore like this. I said a rosary without interruption! I was able to pray hard-to put a whole load of stuff at the feet of the Lord.
Neither of us had much time. I don't think we spent more than 20mins there-but it was wonderful, peaceful, healing.
If you get the chance to do this-go.
We've finally found a church near by that offers Confession in the evening so we can all go tonight when The Artist finishes work.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so pleased you had such a blessed time spent adoring Our Lord.

EC Gefroh said...

How wonderful WS! God bless your priest and your parish.

Marie said...

I have only ever been to ONE Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament, and that is because I begged the Priest to have it and was then left to organise it.

In a parish of 300 only SIX came..what a shame:(.

It is such a beautiful opportunity for prayer..God bless your Priest.

Peace to you WhiteStoneNameSeeker:)

Marie xoxox

marcella said...

I love Expo. So often, for me, going to church can be too much about the people there - and not in a particularly spiritual way. I can be thinking about who I want to see and who I want to avoid, or thinking about the priest, etc. etc. But at Expo there are no such distractions. It's just Him and me. And a beautiful silence.
Marcella

Monica said...

This is wonderful news. What graces will flow to that priest and his parish. Whereabouts was this? Can you name the parish? - because these events need publicity in order to increase the possibility of more attending - and also to encourage other parishes in the vicinity to offer to arrange Exposition and Benediction.

Autumn said...

How beautiful!

We have exposition on Wednesday mornings during Lent and Advent, but I can only go during holiday times (ie half term and the week before Easter/Christmas) because of work. I would love to be able to go more...but I went in half term a couple of weeks ago, and like you, was able to really pray and leave so much before the Lord.

I'm so glad you were blessed by this peaceful time with Jesus!

AR xxx

WhiteStoneNameSeeker said...

It was a great blessing. If Julie hadn't come over and taken me I would not have had the chance to get there.
God has been generous with His time for me recently. It is a great consolation.