Saturday 16 February 2008

How Firm a Foundation

I've only just started reading this apologetics novel by Marcus Grodi, so it's a bit early to write a review, but I am loving it.

Interestingly it is giving me an insight into protestant anti-Catholicism that I have never understood. I remember when Scott Hahn talked about his conversion how he talked about his honest belief that Catholics needed to be saved. I was quite shocked at the time. How could anyone-especially someone as obviously intelligent as Dr Hahn-believe something like that?


What I find so fascinating in reading about the beliefs of the characters in the book is how they came by those beliefs. I don't want to spoil the book for those of you who are going to buy it so I will try and talk about this without going into too much detail, but I have been surprised at the similarity in my own faith journey. It must be the same for many of us. We don't get knocked off our horse like St Paul, and get an audience with The Lamb Himself- we get our understanding of the Faith from other people. We are then left to discern just how firm a foundation for our whole life that might be. We are not left alone with that discernment of course, God will guide if we let Him, and I think He expects us to question and seek-or how can we ever be sure the Faith we have is True?

I have seen many anti-Catholic apologists online who are seem lacking in charity-to put it mildly. Yet Dr Hahn, and many other Catholic converts say they too were anti-Catholic in all charity. I could never understand HOW they came to believe this, if they were truly followers of Christ. In the book Marcus Grodi explores some of this, and the stories are believable, I think because he has based them on real stories. I am getting a better understanding and perhaps it will make me a little less irritable when I see anti-Catholics spouting what I always assumed they could not possibly believe was true, in the future.

Dr Hahn was genuinely seeking the Kingdom though, and I reckon he found it Happy . Even so, I love the conversation he had with his mum when she asked "But you could be wrong couldn't you?" And he replied, "Yes mum, I could be wrong."

It is something that still bugs at me despite the long winded journey of my own conversion, that despite it all, what if I am wrong?

9 comments:

Adrienne said...

When Protestants react with lack of charity it is just fear.

There are some days that I actually think the whole thing might be a huge joke. The whole thing being God, of course. It is noramal to question and grow as we answer those questions.

antonia said...

sounds like an interesting book!

I used to think 'But what if I'm wrong' a few years ago too.
However, I have seen God acting so much in my life, and have had so many answered prayers, and have seen so many of His graces in the lives of those around me, I know it can't be anything be right!

WhiteStoneNameSeeker said...

Adrienne- God has one heck of sense of humour!! Honestly, there are times when His jokes irritate me!
It's a great book (so far) Antonia-and on the whole, usually..mostly...I know I am Home, but just sometimes I think WHAT IF I have it all wrong?

marcella said...

As someone who spent 23 years off-roading as an evangelical, I can tell you that unfortunately some Protestant misunderstandings about Catholicism are deliberate: they find it more convenient to believe the myth than to run the risk of discovering that Catholicism might, after all, have something to recommend it.
I have heard evangelicals speak of Catholicism as if it were somewhere there on the outer edges of Christianity: but that is because evangelicals sometimes believe that THEY represent the mainstream. It's a whole other planet.
But they cannot be blamed. In Britain the victors have written the history books and it is no surprise that most people believe what they are told!
Marcella
Who has Protestant friends whom she respects and loves, in case you were wondering.

Joyful Catholic said...

I read this 3 years ago. It was very good. I wish he'd write a sequel. I gave it to an Evangelical friend for her birthday, in 2005...and never heard diddly if she read it or not. Doubting it. It started a bit slow, but after the first 60 pages, or so, I was hooked.

Ebeth said...

Oh my! I just talked to Marcus Friday night! He came to Raleigh, NC and gave 2 talks during a "Ignited By Truth" conference! I shook his hand and thanked him for such a great inspiring evening. He is the nicest person and sooooo passionate for the faith!

Glad you are getting to know him!

Hugs!

Marie said...

I have not heard of him so must TRY and see if I can get the book.

Thanks Whitestonenameseeker:)

Peace to this Lent:)

Marie..PS: I read a piece today about China and Africa..interesting read I put the link on my blog:). God bless you.

Cathy said...

I used to ponder that question. And then I read a study on the Book of Daniel which intrigued me, so I studied the OT prophets, and there's no doubt that we are, in fact, "right."

Daniel, for all intents and purposes, gave an exact date for the Messiah's arrival, the Transfiguration.

Other prophets, though not nearly as date-specific, also put people like Nostradamus to shame, though you won't hear about them on the history channel over and over and over again.

;)

swissmiss said...

I think the few times I have thought I might be wrong were when I was listening more to the world than to God. In the quiet, I KNOW it's right, that God is right and truly does exist. It's when I let all the noise of the world clog my brain that I start to have doubts.