Monday 15 October 2007

The joys of Autumn

Autumn Rose has tagged me for this meme. I love the questions here.


When does Autumn begin for you? It begins with that 'smell' of cool earth and then I order the coal for the fire (smokeless of course-don't go all Al Gore on me) Then I send the boys out to make sure we have good dry kindling.
What is your favorite aspect of Autumn? I love dark nights and a roaring fire, toasting marshmallows and reading stories with the children (yep including the 18yr old)

What is your favorite Autumn memory? Taking the children to the park to collect conkers.
What do you like to drink in the Autumn? Hot chocolate specials as we call them; hot chocolate with a swirl of cream and marshmallows and maybe even a little grated chocolate. Sometimes for the grown ups we add a dash of Bailey's.
What’s your favorite Autumn food? Beef stew done in the slow cooker or carrot and orange soup with cheese grated over the top and eaten with fresh bread. Now I have to confess I have got our of the habit of making bread this last year and it is an 'autumn resolution' to make some again soon, especially as it is soup and stew season.

My daughter likes chicken soup-but it takes me so long to make. I did it t'other night and it was worth it.
What is Autumn weather like where you live? Cool and that sharp bright sunshine that only happens now. But it is somewhat warmer at the moment.
What color is Autumn? Gold mostly, but also green turning bronze and the deep purple of copper beech.
What does Autumn smell like? Earth and spices.
Christmas shopping in Autumn? Yes, I start stocking up on dried fruit, sugar, spices, etc as it spreads the cost and I make a lot of pressies.
If you could go anywhere in the Autumn, where would you go? Somewhere with trees and hot muffins...

Do you have a favorite Autumn chore? Making mincemeat and marmalade


What is your least favorite thing about Autumn? Soggy leaves with dog poo


What is your favorite Autumn holiday? We celebrate All Souls and All Saints. We have pumpkin lanterns and sweets and the little'uns dress as saints and fight the dragon. Not conventional I know-and one year St George was scared of the dragon his big sister had made so St George's big brother champion had to kill the dragon. LOL.


What’s your favorite kind of pie? Apple and cinnamon.


Do you have a favorite Autumn book?
Whatever I am reading. I have started reading the Charlotte Mason original Homeschooling series. She had such a common sense understanding of children and insisted they be treated with respect.
She talks about natural law and the kind of discipline and love that children need.

How about a favorite Autumn poem? I am not a great poetry person- I know that is rather an awful admission for a homeschooling mum.
I do get my children doing poetry, but to be honest I find it hard to get into.

3 comments:

Autumn said...

"What is your favorite Autumn holiday? We celebrate All Souls and All Saints. We have pumpkin lanterns and sweets and the little'uns dress as saints and fight the dragon. Not conventional I know..."

...but what a fab idea! Pity mine are too old!

Marie said...

Oh you are all so lucky..I love Autumn. We are now heading towards summer waaaaaa :((.

Even yesterday the temps reached into the 90's. I can't stand the heat.

God bless you,

Marie

gemoftheocean said...

Oh, cool, I was hoping someone would tag me. Give me a few, and I'll have a blog up.

Karen