Sunday 7 October 2007

My Birthday day out




Yesterday was my birthday and we had a great family day out. My sister-in-law just happened to phone in the morning because of the postal strike and so we invited her to come along too.

We went to Blists Hill Museum near Iron Bridge in Shropshire.
It's a great place where you get to see how people lived at the turn of the century and learn a little about the coal and iron works that were so much part of that area. The little houses have been transplanted along with their history to the site and someone is there to tell the story. There are real shops selling the kind of stuff you could really have bought back then; traditional soaps, china, ribbons and pins. There's a baker selling beautiful fresh bread still warm from the oven, and a candle maker.
They have a pub with chickens kept in the garden and a cottage with lovely Tamworth pigs in the garden.
An old Clydsdale trots around pulling a cart that people can hitch a ride on and there's a tea shop where my dd and I had tea and scones while the others walked along the cut (canal) to the incline plane.
The place is just great fun.
We came home to a lovely birthday cake made by my daughter with the help of the smalls- who tested the mixture to check it was okay. I knew what the 'secret' cake was made of because they both had ample amounts of it around their faces! LOL
I had a great day and I am getting used to be year older already Chompy










4 comments:

Autumn said...

Oooh, I've always wanted to go there! My daughter's been and really enjoyed it.

Trouble is, we're car-less, so I'll have to cadge a lift off someone! Glad you had such a fab day out :¬)

Happy Monday morning!
AR xx

gemoftheocean said...

Sounds like a blast. It strikes me that you would enjoy seeing those documentaries "1940s house" and there's one for early 1900s too.

For a period of time (a few months, IIRC) a family is chosen to deal with what life would have been like "back then."

I thought them both quite fascinating. Both done in the UK and I also think there must have been one done for an earlier period.

Just to guess at your age I expect your grandparents (or possibly parents) went through the WWII years. And the program showed what dealing with scarcity and rationing was like. Also the clothes, household items etc.

Karen

Jean Heimann said...

Happy belated birthday!

Praying for birthday blessings in the year ahead.

God bless you and keep you in His loving care!

Therese said...

Happy Birthday from another October girl (who's daughter also made a cake).

Sounds like a great day.