Tuesday 12 June 2007

teaching Catholic kids

I know there has been a great deal of concern over the nature of RE taught in Catholic schools. While the schools seem to think they are teaching the Faith and our bishops...well I am sorry to say this, but what are they doing? One of those school RE schemes that has been so heavily criticised was Icons, which got an introduction from a bishop as though it did not undermine the teaching of the Church at all.

I am assisting my son's friend with his A'level RE at that moment. The head of RE in his Catholic school boasts to the children about his atheism. He then writes handouts that show his complete ignorance of Catholic history and teaching and demands the children, including A'level students learn it as though it has any merit at all.
I spend so much time correcting his errors with this student- and then so many children drop the faith they think they've been taught.

Less and less people are surprised I home educate.

No comments: